We Are Here To Help
Resources For Teaching ELs
- Ballard and Tighe: Free packets, lesson plans, and activities for ELs
- Freckle.com: Multiple lexile levels and skill-based questioning for the teacher to choose from; includes reading, writing, and math
- Getepic.com: Online novels K-7 in English and other languages (mostly Spanish).
- Google Drive: Translates documents, sheets, slides, and forms into other languages (Spanish works best).Google Extensions:
- Google Translate: Use this App to translate worksheets, handouts, and homework live using the photo option.
- Houghton: Free VIRTUAL lessons and curriculum for K-12 LA
- Learning Chocolate: Interactive lessons (free)
- Listening Lab: Help students practice listening skills
- Lists of hi/Lo books:
- NewsELA: Find a news story and change the lexile level based on student need
- Stanford University: Free curriculum resources for Math, Language Arts, and Science.
- Text Compactor: Shortens passages while keeping complexity
- Unite for Literacy: Books read to students
- Worksheets and Games (already made!)
- QR Codes: Make QR codes to connect instructions, videos, or tips to homework assignments
Websites with strategies
- English LEARNERS- Valentina is an educational consultant working with educators across the nation to support English learners. She has a focus on Elementary strategies and offers info graphics and strategies for free!
- The Teacher Toolkit - Various techniques and strategies demonstrated with short video clips (less than 5 minutes). Also included are instructions and templates for most strategies.
- The Teaching Channel - "Teaching Channel is a thriving online community where teachers can watch, share, and learn diverse techniques to help every student grow."
- ReadWriteThink: Strategy Guides - "Strategy guides define and provide examples of effective literacy teaching and learning strategies and offer a wealth of related resources to help sharpen your instruction."
- Strategy Toolbox - A collection of strategies compiled by Rochester Community Schools.
- Tips for teaching students who speak Arabic
Articles, Blog Posts, Podcasts
- Control Alt Achieve by Eric Curts - Google Tools for English Learners
- #EllChat_BkClub: Improving Instruction for English Learners One Book Chat at a Time by Katie Toppel, Ed.D.
- Empowering ELLs by Tan Huynh
- Newcomers at Grade Level and Beyond by Carol Salva
- Get SupportEd
- Echevarria, Jana, et al. Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: the SIOP Model. Pearson, 2017.
- Fenner, Diane Staehr. Unlocking English Learners Potential. Corwin Press INC, 2017.
- Gottlieb, Margo, and Mariana Castro. Language Power: Key Uses for Accessing Content. Corwin, 2017.
- Hammond, Zaretta, and Yvette Jackson. Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students. Corwin, 2015.
- Salva, Carol, and Anna Matis. Boosting Achievement: Reaching Students with Interrupted or Minimal Education. Seidlitz Education, 2017.
- Short, Deborah, et al. The 6 Principles for Exemplary Teaching of English Learners: Grades K-12. TESOL Press, 2018.
- Singer, Tonya Ward. EL Excellence Every Day: the Flip-to Guide for Differentiating Academic Literacy. Corwin, 2018.
- Vogt, MaryEllen, et al. 99 More Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP® Model. Pearson Allyn and Bacon, 2015.
- Vogt, MaryEllen, and Echevarría Jana. 99 Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP Model. Pearson Allyn and Bacon, 2011.
- Yzquierdo, Michelle. Pathways to Greatness for ELL Newcomers: A Comprehensive Guide for Schools & Teachers. Seidlitz Education, 2017.
- Zwiers, Jeff, and Marie Crawford. Academic Conversations: Classroom Talk That Fosters Critical Thinking and Content Understandings. Stenhouse Publishers, 2011.
- Zwiers, Jeff, and Sara Hamerla. The K-3 Guide to Academic Conversations: Practices, Scaffolds, and Activities. Corwin, a SAGE Company, 2018.